New Website and Blog!

Please visit our new website and blog:
http://www.teamheart.org

End of Year Giving to Team Heart

All proceeds from this gift will help fund Team Heart to provide cardiac surgery to young adults suffering from rheumatic heart disease in Rwanda, a country that has no surgical options. Team Heart is partnering with the citizens of Rwanda to build an "in country" cardiac surgery program, while developing early detection, prevention and education programs to prevent years of suffering and early deaths due to undiagnosed strep infection.

http://www.firstgiving.com/teamheart2010

Please send check made to Team Heart, Inc.
Team Heart, Inc.
75 Francis Street CA-211
Boston, MA 02115


Sunday, April 19, 2009

Message from Dr. Bolman

Today is our last day in the OR on our second year mission to Rwanda. The people have been most warm and welcome, and we all immediately felt right at home at King Faisal.   The patients have been much sicker and more challenging this year.  For example, to quote our friend, the estimable Erneste Simpunga, we have done 11 double valve operations, and one triple valve operation out of a total of 13 surgeries. That is compared to only one double valve operation last year out of 11 surgeries. As one might expect, the longer times on the heart-lung machine have been associated with more bleeding in several patients. We have definitely pushed the envelope of what is possible here, in this environment. I was reminded of this one night about 1 a.m., when a young girl I had operated upon was very unstable with low blood pressure and a very erratic heart rhythm. We came very close to losing her, and I thought to myself that, if she had to return to the operating theater, or have her incision reopened in the ICU, then what was I going to do? There is no OR facility here at night. All our surgical team had left, and, even if I had needed them, it is doubtful that they could have responded quickly enough to make a difference.  Fortunately, she settled down and has improved slowly but surely over the next days. That is very sobering, and a reminder of all we take for granted at home.  My next to last patient, Criserie, motioned me to her bedside this afternoon. She took my hands in hers, and said "Merci Beaucoup". Needless to say, she knows the way straight to my heart. 

I have to leave early morning for Japan to speak at a conference- not my best ever move, as there is almost no way to get there from here. I will close by saying that this is the best thing we do in our lives. I think I speak for almost the entire team when I say that.  It is an awesome privilege to take care of people who don't even share our language, and yet are brave enough to trust us with their lives, in exchange for a chance at a better, longer life. As a healer, one can ask for no greater gift than that, that we might be able to make a difference for people in such desperate need.

I thank everyone who has helped make this such a wonderful experience- my fellow BWH mates, the MGH contingent- Warren, Terri and Jen, Leslie Macho and Sofia Ormaza  from the U of M, Andy Willett, who was a super volunteer, George Shortis from Operation Open Heart, Australia, my daughter Paige, Jim and Zara and the ICU team, my friend and colleague, Les Miller, Katie and Laureen in the OR, and everyone else. I have to mention Meera Kotagal, who was basically the surgical intern, doing all the patient workups and generally being a positive force.  John Connell has done a great job, and is a tireless worker. Barry has been the Ironman in the OR. Thank you, and thank everyone. Thank you to Gene Bukhman, cardiologist for PIH, who did case selection. Mostly, thank you, Ceeya, for organizing this whole enterprise. You have been the one constant this past year- picking the team, fundraising, procuring the equipment, labeling, boxing and shipping over three tons of equipment, not to mention the trunks we brought along on the flight here. It has been a labor of love, the work of at least 3-4 people, and you have never complained of faltered. You are truly amazing, and Team Heart and the people of Rwanda are lucky, indeed, to have you. As am I, for that matter.

That's all until next year in Kigali.

Chip Bolman

5 comments:

  1. wonderful, inspiring work you are all doing, and we are all proud of you guys. It's also humbling to think of the dedication it has taken from the whole team there-thank you
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank team Heart for helping me.



    Youngman from rwanda,Eeneste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Team really did miracles for Rwandan patients including me myself.



    We will always pray for them and i am sure God understands our prayers and they are alredy blessed

    Toujours, Erneste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Team Heart with the help of cardiac
    surgery, Now i am back to school and i feel better.

    I study hard to become a doctor and work with them may be one day.

    I want to become a cardiologist when i grow up.

    Today is JUNE,29,2009 and this means that within one more month,We celebrate my cardiac surgery anniversary!!!!!! so i thank once again Team Heart especially Dr.Bolman and his wife(Ceeya)for saving my life!!!!!

    Toujours avec Erneste SIMPUNGA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, let me stop from there because if i continue to talk about this wonderful Team,I can even use 5 years to describe what they did for me.

    The things they just beyond human understanding and they do them for free!!!!


    Hi Ceeya, Keyla and Suellen!

    Youngman from Rwanda who loves you so much and who can not forget to thank all of you for your help. Egidia,Thank you too for joining the Team!

    ReplyDelete